USDA grant to allow more fruits, veggies in NC schools
The United States Department of Agriculture is awarding North Carolina with a $2.7 million grant that will be distributed to 106 elementary schools. The purpose of the grant is to promote healthier food choices by providing a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables as daily snacks.
The money also will go towards incorporating nutrition education in lesson plans.
This year is the seventh consecutive year that NC has had the opportunity to participate in the USDA Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program.
Elementary schools use the money to purchase fresh produce and distribute it to participating schools.
Schools that have previously participated in the program used the funds to provide fruit baskets inside classrooms, kiosks in the hallways, and other innovative approaches to give students the opportunity to grab fresh fruit or vegetable snacks during the school day.
"What better way to reinforce the message of the importance of maintaining a healthy diet than to provide our youngest students with opportunities to put those lessons into action? We hope that the more students are exposed to fresh fruits and vegetables the more times they will choose them over less nutritious snacks," said State Superintendent June Atkinson. "We want these healthy habits to extend beyond the school house doors."
Schools participating in the program will educate students about how fresh fruits and vegetables are a critical part of a healthy diet.
Several schools in the Triangle will implement the program including two schools in Durham County, two in Wake and one in Orange.
For a complete list, click here.
durham county, orange county, wake county, wake county schools, health/fitness
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash 30 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands 25 min ago
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic 39 min ago
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Panthers, Saints seek control of NFC South race
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Man trapped in empty dark plane cabin at Houston airport
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help