Duke takes on diets that fail
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Forty-three-year-old Latonya King spent most of her life overweight.
"Particularly as a teenager, it was really tough going through middle school and high school. I certainly learned to adjust with my humor I suppose," she explained.
But developing type 2 diabetes in 2005 was no laughing matter. It was a wakeup call.
"It was devastating. I went into panic mode. I was immediately put on medications," King recalled.
King lost a little weight, but she eventually realized she needed help to make a real change. So, she turned to the Duke Raleigh Hospital Lose to Live program. It's a 12-week regimen aimed at helping patients lose weight and make permanent lifestyle changes.
"We're very realistic. We take a baby step at a time and then we walk them through," explained Duke Raleigh Hospital's Dena Lowry.
Lowry works one on one with patients. The first step is finding out why they're overweight.
"I help people find an emotional reason why they want to lose weight, and that helps them make the changes. Even with emotional eating, they can find other strategies to deal with stress other than eat," Lowry explained.
Lowry also helps patients set goals, learn portion control, and plan healthy meals and snacks.
"One thing about our program, I think we're real good coaches and mentors to the folks, and it's so important to have people in your life not only encourage you, but to hold you accountable," said Lowry.
During the 12 weeks, patients can have setbacks. But through the program, they can build new strategies for success.
King has lost 38 pounds, is down three dress sizes, and plans to keep eating right, exercising, and making good choices.
"I'm in tune to all of those things now, and that's a good feeling," she said.
King hopes to lose 30 more pounds.
If you're struggling with extra weight and would like to learn more about Lose to Live, got to: http://www.dukeraleighhospital.org/healthservices/cardio/cardiac_rehab_and_wellness_center
wake county, health/fitness, tisha powell
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle 13 min ago
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- UNC guard McDonald cleared by NCAA
- Crawleigh could affect school start times 10 min ago
- Bipartisan budget agreement clears Congress
- Laurence Lovette denied change of venue for murder trial
- Police recover stolen storm grates
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue 51 min ago
- Ga. woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Film, TV productions spend $250 million in NC
- McCrory cites jobless rate, tax overhaul in video
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013
- Dog helps doctors monitor child during...
37 min ago
- Money Saver: Gift cards
39 min ago
- Santa comes early for Rocky Mount twins on...
50 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help