UNC: Eating disorders common in women over 50
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- A new study from scientists at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine shows age is no barrier when it comes to disordered eating.
The research published in the International Journal of Eating Disorders shows that in women aged 50 and over, 3.5 percent report binge eating, nearly 8 percent report purging, and more than 70 percent are trying to lose weight. Overall, 62 percent said their weight or shape negatively impacted their life.
"We know very little about how women aged 50 and above feel about their bodies," said Cynthia Bulik, PhD, director of the Eating Disorders Program in the University of North Carolina School of Medicine. "An unfortunate assumption is that they 'grow out of' body dissatisfaction and eating disorders, but no one has really bothered to ask. Since most research focuses on younger women our goal was to capture the concerns of women in this age range to inform future research and service planning."
While eating disorders are more commonly associated with teens and young women, Bulik said doctors should be on the lookout for potential problems in older patients.
"Health care providers should remain alert for eating disorder symptoms and weight and shape concerns that may adversely influence women's physical and psychological wellbeing as they mature, she said.
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2Hurricanes surge... 37 min ago
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Lawmakers get legal help with NC marriage case
- Community rallies around couple after fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl holiday travel
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help