Afghan child recovering from heart surgery
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- There's good news out of UNC hospitals where a little girl from Afghanistan is recovering from a successful heart surgery.
Eight-year-old Maryam was born with a heart defect that doctors originally tried to repair using a catheter method last week.
During that procedure, her pediatric cardiologist found another problem with Maryam's heart that required surgery.
Both repairs were successfully made Tuesday, and Maryam is awake and comfortable in the pediatric ICU.
She'll spend the next few days recovering in the hospital.
- NC-147 closed due to downed power lines 3 min ago
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Salvation Army coming up short this year
- Jailer to serve 90 days behind bars
- Feds shut 52 unsafe bus companies
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- NKorea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle as a traitor
- Bank robbery suspect sought in Fayetteville
- McCrory: Raleigh buildings are 'ugly as the dickens'
- Rash of shootings have Sanford on edge
- Bowl president: 'No doubt' about No. 22 Duke
- Pool parasite sickens high school swimmers
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help