Frat's Flag Rankles Neighborhood
(04/28/06 -- RALEIGH) (WTVD) -- A Raleigh neighborhood has become a battleground over the Confederate flag.
The controversy centers around an N.C. State fraternity. Many in the mostly black neighborhood are angry that the Farmhouse Fraternity is flying the flag.
Seeing confederate flags in his neighborhood has bradley landon seeing red.
"The demographic of our neighborhood is a low-income black neighborhood," said Bradley Landon. "I find it extremely offensive and I'm not black."
Landon took pictures of the flag and complained to NCSU officials.
"The campus recognizes the charter of that frat," he said. "Being that the campus has approved the frat, I would think the campus has standards for that frat, one of them not being offensive in the community."
There is no policy on flag-flying at frat houses, according to the president of Greek Life at N.C. State. While he would not go on camera, he tells Eyewitness News that complaints of the confederate flags were resolved.
The president of the Farmhouse Fraternity agrees. He also declined an on-camera interview. He says they agreed to stop flying the most well-known Confederate battle flag, but they will not stop flying others from that era.
The president of the Farmhouse Fraternity says they are not trying to offend anyone by continuing to fly some Confederate flags. He says they are exercising their freedom of speech and there is no issue. But their neighbor says the issue is much bigger.
"There was no real concern on the part of the campus and the university as far as their impact on their reputation," Landon said.
Landon is hoping his concerns will get state to revisit its flag policies.
- Photos: 9 bizarre air travel mishaps of 2013
- Warren scores 32, NC State beats ECU 90-79 16 min ago
- Beyonce spends Friday night at Walmart 35 min ago
- State gives OK for possum drop celebration in NC
- Target offers apology discount this weekend
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AAA Carolinas expects record travel by Tar Heels
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather