SBI investigates taser death involving officer
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) (WTVD) -- The State Bureau of Investigations in looking into the death of a man after being tasered by a Fayetteville Police officer.
Otis Anderson's family members say he was released from prison Sunday.
The incident between police and Anderson happened around midnight Wednesday at a convenience store on Murchison Road.
Police say just minutes earlier, 36-year-old Otis C. Anderson, flagged down an officer saying he was suffering from a crack cocaine overdose, according to a press released sent by Fayetteville Police.
As an officer tried to assist Anderson, he ran away. He was later found trying to break into a convenience store in the 5500-block of Murchison Road. Officials say as officers tried to arrest Anderson, he became "combative."
Anderson was tasered as officers tried to subdue him. According to officials, as he suspect was receiving medical help on the scene, he stopped breathing. He was later pronounced dead.
The Fayetteville Police Department's Office of Professional Standards is conducting an administrative internal investigation into the incident. The State Bureau of Investigation and detectives of the Fayetteville Police Department are conducting a joint death investigation into the incident.
According to department policy, the officers involved will be placed on administrative duty until the respective investigations are complete. The names of the officers involved is not being released at this time.
Use of taser procedure:
- To control a subject when deadly force is not necessary.
- When attempts to subdue a suspect by conventional tactics, including verbally ordering the suspect to surrender don't work.
- And when the officer believes it is unsafe to get within contact range of a suspect.
- Barber, 11 others guilty in Moral Monday protests
- 'Tipsforjesus' leaving thousands in tips
- Does bathing in vitamin C water improve health?
- Family says Nelson Mandela on 'deathbed'
- 2 dead, 1 wounded in shooting near NC college 19 min ago
- Fayetteville bank robber sought 48 min ago
- Tata blames environmentalists for bridge woes
- NC has fewer teachers and more students
- Float banned from Clayton Christmas parade 10 min ago
- NC State beats Northwestern 69-48 26 min ago
- Autopsy: Actor died from impact, fire in crash
- Student arrested with loaded gun at Durham high school
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Group tasked with keeping kids safe at school
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help