Murder suspect linked to several crimes
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The teenager accused of gunning down a Duke University graduate student in an apparent robbery remains behind bars without bond.
Stephen Oates, 19, is charged with last Friday's murder of Abhijit Mahato. He's also suspected in several other robberies.
Oates was arrested Tuesday night after leading police on a high speed chase through Durham and Wake counties. Thursday he faced a judge in Durham County.
While Oates faces murder charges in the death of Abhijit Mahato, Oates is facing robbery charges with three other men.
Oates, William Dozia Smith, 20, and two juveniles are charged with robbing a couple of cash Sunday night at gunpoint on Lambeth Circle.
Oates was also charged Tuesday night with an armed robbery that was reported November 19, 2007 at Bennett Pointe Grill on Hillsborough Road. An employee was taking out the trash when two males approached him and demanded money. One male took the victim's cash while the second male sprayed the victim with pepper spray. Oates was charged with robbery and simple assault in that case.
Oates remains in Durham County Jail without bond. His next court appearance is scheduled for January 31.
- Temps to plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday 54 min ago
- Durham girl's wish comes true
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Woman unknowingly tweets husband's fatal car crash
- Woman struck, killed by car in Harnett County 59 min ago
- Son: Graham's health declining
- Wake Forest bank robbery suspect caught
- Motorcyclist killed in Durham County crash 52 min ago
- No. 20 Duke relishes worst-to-first ride
- Xerox calls police before layoffs
- High School Football Scores - Playoffs Week 4 50 min ago
- Hurricanes surge past Sharks
- Raleigh Winterfest 2013-2014
- Icy storm slams Southwest, shuts down North Texas
- Some travel delays at RDU due to storms
13 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help