Police follow clues in Carson murder
CHAPEL HILL (WTVD) -- Chapel Hill Police investigators are circulating a series of surveillance photos they say are connected to the death of Eve Carson. Carson was found shot to death in the middle of a Chapel Hill road last Wednesday morning.
Investigators say the two photos show the same man using Eve Carson's ATM card.
Chapel Hill Police Chief Brian Curran says the photos have generated hundreds of leads, but so far he's nowhere to be found.
In the first photo released over the weekend, the "person of interest" appeared to look almost into the camera as he tried to use Eve Carson's bank card to withdraw cash. In the photo he wore a distinctive Houston Astros baseball hat.
On Monday the Chapel Hill Police Department released a second set of photos from a convenience store where Eve Carson's ATM card was used again. Curran said, "The person that we're looking at appears to us to be the person from the other photographs, who is the driver."
In addition to the photos being release, investigators say they've found Eve's cell phone on a road between Chapel Hill and Durham. They've also searched Carson's campus computer and memory card for clues. Curran says there's no evidence Carson had any previous contact with her killer. "It still feels like a random crime to us," Curran said.
With questions of gang activity circulating, Chief Curran says it's too early in the investigation to make that assumption. "That is certainly one possible scenerio. But until we identify this person and have a chance to sit down and talk to him, talking about a gang connection will just be speculation on my part," Curran said.
Investigators say they still have reason to believe the suspect and a possible second suspect are still in the area. The official search has not extended out of state.
Funeral services for 22-year-old Eve Carson were held in her hometown of Athens, Georgia over the weekend. UNC Chapel Hill is planning a formal memorial service for the student body president after spring break.
local/state, gerrick brenner
- Target investigating credit card breach
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Man shot, collapses at gas station
- Police issue warning on eve of Huerta vigil
- Dog helps doctors monitor child during operation
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle
- Ex-boyfriend charged in Durham double murder
- Texas upends No. 14 North Carolina 86-83
- NC State beats Vols 65-58 for sixth straight win
- White House task force urges limit on NSA snooping
- Ferry that ran aground on NC coast still stuck
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help