Duke wants Pressler lawsuit dismissed
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Duke lawyers are trying to get a lawsuit filed Jan. 23 for slander by the University's former lacrosse coach, Mike Pressler, dismissed.
The week before he filed, the attorneys representing Pressler withdrew their request for a judge to rescind a settlement agreement between Pressler and Duke so they could pursue the lawsuit.
Pressler claims comments Duke Spokesman John Burness made to a newspaper columnist and the Associated Press last year were slanderous.
Duke lawyers asked the judge earlier this month to dismiss or stay the slander suit, saying Pressler must go through the arbitration process.
Pressler was forced to resign several weeks after the 2006 party at which a stripper claimed three players raped her. The case was later debunked, and the prosecutor who pursued the charges was disbarred.
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Car accident killed girls missing since 1971
- Dress codes: Where should schools set limits?
- Gas prices on the rise; still lower than last Easter
- Nurseries, homeowners take steps to protect plants 26 min ago
- Putin urges end to blockade of Trans-Dniester
- Fire truck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- Family of Fayetteville Navy Yard shooting victim files suit
- 2 more charged in Wake Forest kidnapping
- Sketch of Cary rape suspect released
- McCrory proposes new coal ash regulation
- Amanda Hayes faces new charges in Texas