Duke wants Pressler lawsuit dismissed
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Duke lawyers are trying to get a lawsuit filed Jan. 23 for slander by the University's former lacrosse coach, Mike Pressler, dismissed.
The week before he filed, the attorneys representing Pressler withdrew their request for a judge to rescind a settlement agreement between Pressler and Duke so they could pursue the lawsuit.
Pressler claims comments Duke Spokesman John Burness made to a newspaper columnist and the Associated Press last year were slanderous.
Duke lawyers asked the judge earlier this month to dismiss or stay the slander suit, saying Pressler must go through the arbitration process.
Pressler was forced to resign several weeks after the 2006 party at which a stripper claimed three players raped her. The case was later debunked, and the prosecutor who pursued the charges was disbarred.
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash 48 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial expected to draw thousands 20 min ago
- Snow, ice, deep-freeze hit large swath of US
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Panthers, Saints seek control of NFC South race
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Man trapped in empty dark plane cabin at Houston airport
- Billy Joel, 4 others receive Kennedy Center Honors
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help