Man out on bail charged in second rape
DURHAM -- Police say a man free on bail in the alleged rape of a Duke University student attacked another woman. Michael Jermaine Burch, 23, is now in the Durham County jail.
Burch was awaiting trial for the alleged February assault on a woman at an off-campus fraternity party. The victim, then 18, told investigators she was attacked in a bathroom at the duplex on Gattis Street.
Burch, who was 21 at the time, was arrested and then freed on bond later that month.
Now, detectives have rearrested Burch and charged him with a second attack that happened in June at a home on Cherrycrest Drive. He's charged with second-degree sexual assault, a first-degree sexual offense, and aiding and abetting in a felony.
His bail is now set at $1.85 million.
- Senate leader at odds with Governor over Dix lease 31 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Army declares Kelli Bordeaux dead
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- Senate Republicans moving NC budget to House
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recover
- Racial Justice Act repeal heard by NC House panel
- NC Senate spending plan given initial OK
- NC State tops Clemson 6-3 in ACC tournament
- NC House bill opens renegotiation on Dix property
- NC terror suspect killed in overseas drone strike
- Acquaintance describes Abaroa after wife's death