Man out on bail charged in second rape
DURHAM -- Police say a man free on bail in the alleged rape of a Duke University student attacked another woman. Michael Jermaine Burch, 23, is now in the Durham County jail.
Burch was awaiting trial for the alleged February assault on a woman at an off-campus fraternity party. The victim, then 18, told investigators she was attacked in a bathroom at the duplex on Gattis Street.
Burch, who was 21 at the time, was arrested and then freed on bond later that month.
Now, detectives have rearrested Burch and charged him with a second attack that happened in June at a home on Cherrycrest Drive. He's charged with second-degree sexual assault, a first-degree sexual offense, and aiding and abetting in a felony.
His bail is now set at $1.85 million.
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry 27 min ago
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers 52 min ago
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Appeal to be heard in Jason Young case
- Police: Teen in custody shot himself
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes...
26 min ago
- Uptick in flu cases in Triangle
32 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help