Options limited for late tax filers tonight
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Unlike previous years, not all post offices remained open until midnight tax day in order for tax filers to meet the April 15 deadline.
Some private tax preparation companies like H&R Block stayed open until midnight Wednesday.
Since more taxpayers filed by computer this year, snail mail is losing some steam.
The U.S. Postal Service says it is strapped for cash and because of a combination of technology and the economy, only one post office in Raleigh, one in Durham and one in Fayetteville stayed open late to accept last minute returns only.
According to the Postal Service, 60 percent of Americans e-filed last year. In N.C. e-filers made up two-thirds of returns.
The three Triangle post offices that were open late were, Westgate Station in Raleigh, the post office at La Plaza Latina in Durham and the post office on Green Street in Fayetteville.
Many post offices have self-serve, automated postal center kiosks, which accept mail around the clock. Those stations only give a time stamped receipt, but the receipt is not proof of postal pick-up. The post office says the mail times for the self-service machines are dictated by post office hours, not the kiosk time.
local/state, gerrick brenner
- Police issue warning about Huerta vigil 24 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- NCCU new head football coach named 7 min ago
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse 19 min ago
- Could Becoats' future be in jeopardy? 33 min ago
- Panthers 1 win from ending playoff drought 51 min ago
- Lawyer details new evidence in Ackerson murder 28 min ago
- Man charged with attempted murder, arson
- Target investigating credit card breach
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Man likely won't be tried for wife's murder
- Man shot, collapses at gas station
- Could Becoats' future be in jeopardy?
32 min ago
- Are movies making your kids fat?
42 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help