Eyewitness News' Person of the Week dies
HILLSBOROUGH (WTVD) -- Eyewitness News introduced David Turner on Friday as the Person of the Week.
Turner's mother, Suzanne Turner, contacted Eyewitness News to say Turner was able to see his story Friday night, but sadly he passed away Saturday morning after battling with lymphoma for over a year.
The 25-year-old wanted everyone to know about his mission, called "Big Dave's Big Gift".
Turner was diagnosed with stage four lymphoma last year and did not have health insurance.
When he couldn't raise the money for his own transplant, he made it his life's mission to give that gift to someone else.
Turner wanted to raise money for someone like him, a young person in need of a stem cell transplant, but who didn't have the money to pay for it.
"I just don't want to see anybody go through the same thing that I did," he said. "You know?"
So he came up with a plan to change an old Web site, which raised money for himself, to a new one -- bigdavesbiggift.org
The goal is to help someone once a year.
Turner said when his seeds are up in the air, they spread around.
If you would like to send condolences or donate to Turner's cause visit his Web site bigdavesbiggift.org.
local/state, barbara gibbs
- Gov. McCrory declares state of emergency
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county 58 min ago
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum 54 min ago
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Amber Alert issued for missing 11-year-old girl
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Possible CO poisoning at Carrboro post office
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help