Bicyclist killed in accident
APEX (WTVD) -- A Triangle cyclist was killed Saturday when authorities said he tried to make a left and turned in front of an oncoming car.
The accident happened around 11:30 a.m. near the intersection of Apex Peakway and South Salem Street.
Officials said 52-year-old Bruce Rosar was killed. Due to an ongoing investigation, officials are releasing few details about the crash.
According to Rosar's biography on his Web site, he had been bicycling in the Triangle area for over two decades.
"If I could have thought of anyone who might have been involved in an accident, he would have been the last person I would have thought of," said David Cole, a member of the NC Bicycle Club.
Rosar was known locally and nationally for his involvement in cycling. He was the director of the North Carolina Active Transportation Alliance and involved in many other bicyclists organizations.
"He was very active in the League of American Bicyclists, he was on their national board, he was one of their certified instructors so he taught classes in bicycle safety," Cole said. "So if there was anybody who played by the rules, it was Bruce."
Following the news of Rosar's death, the League of American Bicyclists Board Chair Amanda Eichstaedt released a statement that said in part, "I am terribly sad to announce the death of Bruce Rosar ... he will be missed terribly and our hearts go out to his family, friends and riding colleagues."
- Police issue warning about Huerta vigil 32 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- NCCU new head football coach named 2 min ago
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse 27 min ago
- Could Becoats' future be in jeopardy? 41 min ago
- Target investigating credit card breach
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC 13 min ago
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed 6 min ago
- Panthers 1 win from ending playoff drought 59 min ago
- Lawyer details new evidence in Ackerson murder 36 min ago
- Man charged with attempted murder, arson
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Could Becoats' future be in jeopardy?
40 min ago
- Are movies making your kids fat?
50 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help