Quadruple murder suspect captured
MOUNT AIRY -- A statewide manhunt for a quadruple murder suspect ended early Monday morning with an arrest in Virginia.
Marcos Chavez Gonzalez was wanted for shooting four men outside a television retail store in Mount Airy just before 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Two men died at the scene and the other two died at the hospital, which is located across the street from the store.
The names of the victims have not been released pending family notification.
Authorities arrested Gonzalez early Monday morning at a motel in Henry County, about 50 miles northeast of Mount Airy near the state line.
Mount Airy police said in a statement that authorities received information about Gonzalez's whereabouts around 2:30 a.m. Monday
Police said the victims were shot less than a mile from the police station. Mount Airy Police Chief Dale Watson said the victims and the suspect were at the television store for a reason.
"We don't feel this was a random event," Watson said. "We do have an idea why [they were shot], but we won't be releasing that."
People who knew the victims gathered near Woods TV Sunday and began crying and collapsing to the ground as they learned what happened.
Mount Airy is best known as the inspiration for Mayberry, the town featured in the television series "The Andy Griffith Show." Andy Griffith, who played the main character in the TV series, also is from Mount Airy.
- Funeral held for North Hills murder victim 2 min ago
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Small Fla. city wonders who won Powerball jackpot
- Boston Marathon bombing victim returns home to NC
- Body of missing Ohio man pulled from NC waters
- NC teacher says student hit her during field trip
- Charlotte remembers 1963 desegregation 'eat-in'
- Swift, Bieber, more ready for Billboard Awards
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list
- OJ Simpson lawyers say he is closer to freedom
- What do we eat? New food map will tell us
- White House insists Obama was not involved in IRS