Terry Sanford High ruled ineligible
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- ABC11 Eyewitness News has confirmed that Terry Sanford High School has been removed from the playoffs for allegedly using an ineligible player during the regular season.
No one knew last Friday night's game would be Terry Sanford's last for the season. Monday afternoon the school reported to state athletic officials, they used an ineligible player in their games.
Rick Strunk with NCHSAA said league officials were contacted by school officials Monday about the player, making Terry Sanford have to forfeit regular season games. They were scheduled to play Pine Forest in the first round of the playoffs. Pine Forest will now get a bye.
"Our coach told us this is one of the hardest things he has ever done in his life, then our stomachs dropped, a minute later we started crying, and it was just awful," Terry Sanford linebacker Nick Broussard said.
The hard part players say is that late last week they were told the violation did not include a football player, but Monday they were told it did.
Last Wednesday school principal Diane Antolak was suspended amid allegation of grade changing she remains suspended and had no comment Monday night.
"Nobody knows really who to blame, you don't want to point any fingers," Terry Sanford linebacker Cameron Bandurraga said. "Everybody was speechless and lost it they don't know what to do, because everybody worked so hard, come so far and had a good season to have it go away so quick."
- Proposed penalties in NC Fair accident announced
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Man seeks to hide 'murder' tattoo before trial
- Teacher pay raise in Wake County could require tax increase 5 min ago
- Raleigh police seek 'Bearded Bandit'
- Protestors demand state leaders expand Medicaid 15 min ago
- Video: I-Team: Who pays coal ash cleanup cost? 7 min ago
- NCCU bracing for job cuts
- Interim president of St. Augustine's University named
- Man injured in Raleigh shooting
- Suspect shoots at deputy in Four Oaks
- Object washes ashore amid Malaysia plane search
- 9th suspect in Wake Forest kidnapping surrenders
- I-Team: Who pays coal ash cleanup cost?
7 min ago
- Money Saver: NC Foreclosure Prevention Fund
24 min ago