Spring Lake police re-affirm their duty
SPRING LAKE (WTVD) -- Spring Lake's embattled police department is back at work.
Nine officers re-affirmed their duty to protect and serve Monday night.
Their vow comes after seven months of turmoil in the town.
In May, a judge stripped the department of its policing powers after the SBI arrested two officers.
Town leaders still haven't given officers the okay to go back on patrol.
But Monday's ceremony is viewed as a big step in the right direction.
"It's been very trying," Spring Lake Police Dept. Sgt. Mack Utley said. "Everyone has been patient, everyone has jumped through a lot of hoops, but it's nice we can now see the light at the end of the tunnel."
Former Chapel Hill Police Chief Greg Jarvies took over as interim chief in May. His last day is Tuesday.
spring lake police, local/state
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a life!
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- Duke stays close to home as No. 3 seed 22 min ago
- Iowa State ready to face North Carolina Central 11 min ago
- No. 6 UVa tops No. 7 Duke 72-63 for ACC title
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Newtown struggles to meet mental health demand
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school