Man puts spotlight on angry message
CARY (WTVD) -- A Cary resident says he is upset about a road project and what it's done to his front yard, so he painted a big message across the front of his house.
"Screwed by the Town of Cary" is painted across a house on Maynard Road, just west of Kildaire Farm Road.
Since August, David Bowden has fought City Hall not with a lawyer, but with orange spray paint and the front of his house facing traffic. He now has a spot-light for people to see the sign even after dusk.
Bowden claims a street expansion on Maynard Road has flooded his home.
He says the town built him a new steep driveway that's funneling water into his basement.
"They've done nothing, but jerk me around on the whole deal," Bowden said.
Bowden says city engineers need to see the light.
"If I had gone to college to be an engineer, and they didn't teach me that water runs down hill, I think I'd want to get my tuition back from them," he said.
City leaders have suggested Bowden's flood damage came before the road repair.
"I say a bunch of bull," Bowden said.
For four months, town officials have threatened Bowden with fines for his sign. So far, they have not levied a dime.
"That's a violation of my rights under the Constitution," he said.
Bowden says it's too late for a city repair. Now, it's about the money.
"Tax value of my house, plus $80K for BSNA," Bowden said.
ABC11 Eyewitness News did not ask Bowden what all that meant.
Tuesday afternoon, the Town of Cary released a statement to ABC11 Eyewitness News that said: "The Town of Cary remains extremely disappointed that Mr. Bowden has continued to decline to meet our community standards. It continues to be our hope that he will express himself according to the town's sign ordinance. While our goal is not to collect money, Mr. Bowden's continued action could result in fining commencing at any moment."
- Bicycle Man's legacy lives on
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- San Francisco transit, union leaders reach deal 9 min ago
- Obama skips out of Washington for Hawaii vacation
- Target offers apology discount this weekend
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AAA Carolinas expects record travel by Tar Heels
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather 3 min ago
- Wild video: Duke Energy implodes smokestacks
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help