Scott Morris charged with wife's murder
GRANVILLE COUNTY (WTVD) -- The Granville County Sheriff's Office has charged Scott Morris with first-degree murder in the death of his wife Kelly Currin Morris.
Morris has been missing since September 4, 2008.
Search teams and volunteers have been looking for the Granville County mother for over a year.
The sheriff's office said Wednesday that searchers found a human skull on some property near Sam Moss Hayes Road in Creedmoor on Monday.
The State Medical Examiner's office used dental records to identify the body.
"It's Kelly today," Kelly's mother Wanda Hollis said. "It's about Kelly today."
Scott Morris had been a person of interest in the case since his wife went missing. He was taken into custody Tuesday evening. In addition to the murder charge, he's also accused of fraudulently burning a dwelling. Morris' home was burned the day she went missing.
"Who else could have done this?" Hollis asked. "There was just nobody else."
The arrest came as no surprise to family, friends and many others who live in Granville County.
"As far as him getting caught, good you know," Kelly's friend Myra Wrenn said. "Karma, Karma's bad."
"Now that we do know, it's horrific and I just hope that he pays," Kelly's friend Lisa Thompson said."I don't know what you do with someone after you kill them, but to throw them in an area like this he has no heart he should not have anything to do with society."
Hundreds from Granville County and across the southeast spent their weekends praying and searching heavily wooded areas and even manholes for clues leading to Kelly Currin Morris.
"I personally didn't think they would ever find her, so I'm glad it happened," family friend Jon Zbonack said. "I just wish it had happened sooner for the family."
Zbonack sponsored fundraisers at his downtown Creedmoor bar and eatery with proceeds going to search efforts.
Morris made his first court appearance Wednesday. He's being held without bond.
Also Wednesday, a court order granted Kelly Currin Morris' father and stepmother, Pat and Juanita Currin, immediate custody of Scott and Kelly's daughter, Carolyn Haley Morris Wednesday. Another custody hearing is scheduled for Friday at 9:30 a.m.
In the meantime, the home the couple shared with their two daughters is in foreclosure. The home has been in disrepair since the fire.
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday 36 min ago
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Brees sharp, Saints beat Panthers 31-13 32 min ago
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Flight delays and cancellations from the...
53 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help