Man charged with Shaniya Davis scam
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- The Fayetteville Police Department says it charged a man with trying to solicit money in the name of Shaniya Davis.
It says Donald Roddy, Jr., 36, of Hypony Trail, Parkton was seen in the area of McPherson Church Road and Skibo Road holding a piece of cardboard which said he was collecting money for Shaniya.
Police said he was attempting to collect money from passing motorists. When asked, he told one motorist that he was collecting money for the Fayetteville Police Department.
The Fayetteville Police Department says it's not collecting money on behalf of Shaniya Davis.
Roddy was charged by detectives with obtaining property by false pretenses. He was at the Cumberland County Detention Center under a $2,000 bond.
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds 49 min ago
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
- Thousands of ladies come together for...
29 min ago
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a...
45 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
55 min ago