Local family shares son's story from Fort Hood
STANLY COUNTY (WTVD) -- A soldier with family in North Carolina is out of the hospital after being injured in the Fort Hood shooting rampage.
Specialist Matthew Cooke was shot five times during the rampage.
The bullets caused major bladder and intestinal injuries.
His parents, Diane and Jerry Frappier, just returned home to Stanly County from visiting him.
They said Cooke wouldn't even talk about that day for more than a week.
He told his parents he was just feet away from accused gunman Major Nidal Hasan.
They said he later re-lived the chilling details as gunfire erupted around him.
They said before Cooke was struck he dove to cover a soldier who was shot in the chest.
"When Matt started to move, he shot Matt one last time and that's the shot that went into his gut," Diane Frappier said. "Matt said that was the shot that really hurt."
She said another soldier who was shot once in the back herself then saved Cooke's life.
Frappier said she believes more people would have died, had it not been for the soldiers' training and bravery.
Cooke has to have at least two more surgeries.
He will receive in-home nursing care until he's well enough to go to a full time rehab center.
- Jailer to serve 90 days behind bars 24 min ago
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Rash of shootings have Sanford on edge 28 min ago
- Bowl president: 'No doubt' about No. 22 Duke
- Pool parasite sickens high school swimmers 37 min ago
- Part of US 64 added to Interstate Highway System
- Lawmaker charged in state tax case out of jail
- Judge: No quick trial on NC voting law changes
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school...
- Are more Dorito-flavored foods on the way?
- Ex-President Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker
- Interpreter for Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Jailer to serve 90 days behind bars
22 min ago
- Rash of shootings have Sanford on edge
27 min ago
- Authorities investigating man's death as...
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help