Snow heading for NC mts., rain across state
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The North Carolina mountains can expect snow while the rest of the state gets rain this weekend.
According to ABC11 Eyewitness News Accuweather Meteorologist Steve Stewart, Saturday's rain could end with a few wet snowflakes north and west of the Triangle.
"As of right now, no accumulation is expected if the changeover does occur," Stewart said. "If enough moisture is around as the colder air arrives, there could be some minor accumulations on grassy surfaces, but not roads north of the Triangle."
The National Weather Service says the cold air could produce snow accumulations up to four inches in the mountains. The snow is expected to taper off by early evening on Saturday but road conditions could be hazardous as overnight temperatures fall in the teens and 20s.
The weather service issued a winter storm watch for the area beginning Friday night and ending Saturday evening.
Asheville and the lower mountains will receive about an inch of snow. Areas of the foothills and the Piedmont could see a wintry mix. The rest of the state will see about a quarter inch of rain Saturday.
The N.C. Department of Transportation says it is prepared to respond to snow, ice or freezing rain that may impact driving conditions on the state's highways.
The department prioritizes which roads are cleared first, by focusing on interstates and other multi-lane primary routes that are essential to the movement of intrastate and regional traffic.
NCDOT then works to clear lower-volume primary roads and secondary roads and then subdivision streets.
Officials say there are several ways for citizens to find out about road conditions. Travelers can call 511, the state's toll-free travel information line, or visit the NCDOT Traveler Information Web site at www.ncdot.gov/traffictravel.
NCDOT also offers travel information on Twitter, a free social-networking Web site. Citizens can signing up at www.ncdot.gov/travel/twitter.
wake county, local/state
- Neighborhood blocked off, police search for suspect
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Oakwood home causing neighborhood divide
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Family displaced in Fayetteville house fire
- Dad of teen charged with grandmother's murder speaks out
- Suspect arrested in Sanford man's death
- Police seek security balance for Boston Marathon
- Ex-Christie aides: Withdraw traffic jam subpoenas
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- No consensus on how to notify data breach victims
- North Carolina deciding again on film break future
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help