Three Duke football players arrested, off team
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Three Duke University football players have been charged with felony possession and discharge of a weapon following an early-morning incident Sunday on the Durham campus, according to university spokesman Keith Lawrence.
The students, Brandon Putnam, Kyle Griswould and John Drew, have been dismissed from the team and the university also said they will not be allowed to return to campus pending resolution of the charges.
At about 3 a.m. Sunday, officials say Duke University Police heard gunfire coming from a vehicle near the Jarvis residence hall on Duke's East Campus.
The vehicle was located in the Blackwell residence hall parking lot, also on East Campus, and traced to one of the students who has been charged, officials said.
Officials say that a subsequent investigation determined the firearm was also discharged on Campus Drive.
No one was injured and the weapon has been recovered by Duke University Police.
Further details about the incident have not been released.
duke football, local/state
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Ferry that ran aground on NC coast still stuck 23 min ago
- Family gets new home for holidays 34 min ago
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
- UNC guard McDonald cleared by NCAA
- Bipartisan budget agreement clears Congress
- Laurence Lovette denied change of venue for murder trial
- Police recover stolen storm grates
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- Ga. woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013
- Family gets new home for holidays
34 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help