Three Duke football players arrested, off team
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Three Duke University football players have been charged with felony possession and discharge of a weapon following an early-morning incident Sunday on the Durham campus, according to university spokesman Keith Lawrence.
The students, Brandon Putnam, Kyle Griswould and John Drew, have been dismissed from the team and the university also said they will not be allowed to return to campus pending resolution of the charges.
At about 3 a.m. Sunday, officials say Duke University Police heard gunfire coming from a vehicle near the Jarvis residence hall on Duke's East Campus.
The vehicle was located in the Blackwell residence hall parking lot, also on East Campus, and traced to one of the students who has been charged, officials said.
Officials say that a subsequent investigation determined the firearm was also discharged on Campus Drive.
No one was injured and the weapon has been recovered by Duke University Police.
Further details about the incident have not been released.
duke football, local/state
- Ice, rain, wind causing slick roads, delays, outages 4 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help