Five students injured in bus crash
EDGECOMBE COUNTY (WTVD) -- Five students were taken to the hospital for minor injuries after their school bus was involved in a wreck Friday morning. No other vehicles were involved.
Bus 283 was carrying about 20 students to South Edgecombe Middle school when it crashed. It happened around 7:20 a.m. on Highway 42 near Conetoe in Edgecombe County.
Edgecombe County Public Schools says the driver of the bus, Michelle Riggs, was substituting for the regular driver. Riggs was not injured.
The NC Highway Patrol and Edgecombe County Public Schools transportation department are investigating.
According to standard procedure, Edgecombe County Public Schools requires an immediate blood alcohol and drug test for the driver, which was conducted at the scene. The ECPS transportation department is evaluating the extent of the damage to the bus, which landed on its side.
edgecombe county, school bus accident, local/state
- Widow's wedding bands stolen in Hope Mills 35 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Manhunt for suspects in deadly luxury mall carjacking
- Police seek help solving double murder
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital 5 min ago
- Multiple county chase ends in Durham 19 min ago
- Sheriff: School gunman planned to attack 5 spots
- Naked man spotted near Raleigh school
- Private ferry runs aground, injures 14
- Durham murder victim identified
- Blind man, guide dog safe after subway track fall
- Fair ride operator, owner formally indicted
- DOT looking at all 540 project paths
- NC photographer helps shelter dogs find a home
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help