Youngs fight order to give up Edwards sex tape
ORANGE COUNTY (WTVD) -- Lawyers for Andrew Young and his wife filed a response Thursday to a temporary restraining order demanding he give up a video recording of former presidential candidate John Edwards having sexual relations with a woman who appears to be Rielle Hunter.
Young, a former aide to Edwards, said he and his wife found the tape after Edwards' mistress moved out of their house in 2007. Edwards has publicly admitted to beginning an affair with Hunter in 2006 while she worked on his campaign as a videographer. He has also admitted to being the father of her daughter.
The existence of the video came to light after the publication of Young's new book "The Politician," in which he chronicles the Edwards affair and his involvement in trying to keep it secret.
Hunter went to court and got the temporary restraining order which orders the Youngs to turn over the tape and any copies.
But in their response ahead of a court appearance scheduled for Friday, lawyers for the Youngs argue several points of law.
They say that technically, a restraining order is intended to preserve the status quo, so they should not be compelled to surrender the tape. Also, they say that Hunter abandoned the tape in the Young's home and didn't request its return for years, so she gave up any legal right to it.
The Youngs will appear in an Orange County courtroom to make their case Friday morning. It's not clear if Hunter will be there.
The Youngs arrived at RDU from New York Thursday night. They wouldn't disclose much when ABC11 asked what their mind set is about having to take a break from their book tour to go to court.
"I really I don't want to its ongoing litigation and I don't know what to expect, but y'all have been really good to us, and we appreciate it," Andrew Young said. "Y'all have a good night."
elizabeth edwards, john edwards, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide