3-year-old dies after falling into ditch
LUMBERTON (WTVD) -- The family of a 3-year-old child that was found hurt near a Lumberton school Tuesday, says the child has died.
The child was discovered in a ditch near Magnolia School off Highway 301 after dozens of people, including law enforcement officers, searched the area near the school.
Investigators say 3-year-old Jay Florez wandered outside andwas reported missing around 11 a.m.
Family members say Flores couldn't wait to see what his mom bought him at the store.
"His mother had promised to bring him a toy back," his aunt Ann Hardin said. "So he just ventured out to go meet his mama looking for the toy."
Sheriff's deputies say the child's grandmother was watching him, but was in another part of the home when he wandered off.
Around 2 p.m., the child was found in a water-filled ditch off Rozier Church Road about 200 yards from the mobile home.
Jennifer Wynn, a member of the Saddletree Volunteer Fire Department, was one of dozens of volunteers who searched the area for 90 minutes before making the grim discovery.
"The shoes were floating on top and we stuck a pole in the water and pulled the child out of the water, CPR was administered," she said.
Rescue crews rushed the boy to Southeast General Hospital where doctors worked for more than four hours to save his life.
Authorities say just after 6 p.m. Flores died.
The Robeson County sheriff's department says investigators are still working the case and no charges have been filed. The Department of Social Services is also investigating.
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Brees sharp, Saints beat Panthers 31-13
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help