Duke accuser's bond lowered
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The woman who was the center of the infamous Duke Lacrosse rape case did not appear in court Monday for a hearing on the domestic violence charges against her.
Instead, Crystal Mangum's lawyer - Durham public defender Lawrence Campbell - asked for her bond to be lowered.
The judge agreed, and lowered it to $250,000 from the original $1 million. If she does post bond, the judge ordered that she be placed under electronic house arrest.
Mangum remains in the Durham County Jail. She is charged with five counts of arson, simple assault, ID theft, communicating a threat, damage to property and resist, delay and obstruction. She also faces three counts of child endangerment.
Durham police took Mangum into custody at her Lincoln Street home Thursday after getting a 911 call from her daughter just before Midnight. According to officers, the 33-year-old, got into an argument with her boyfriend, Milton Walker, which resulted in her assaulting him.
According to an arrest warrant, Mangum scratched, punched and threw objects at Walker before setting his clothes on fire in a bathtub.
As part of her bail agreement Monday, Mangum was ordered to have no contact with Walker.
Nearly four years ago, Mangum, who was an exotic dancer, accused three Duke Lacrosse players of raping her at an off campus party.
The case made international news and the charges against the Duke students were eventually dismissed.
Since the case, Mangum graduated from North Carolina Central University and wrote a book. "The Last Dance for Grace: The Crystal Mangum Story," which was released in 2008.
durham county, durham police, fire, local/state
- Two killed, several injured in Fayetteville crash 6 min ago
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Driver facing charges after passenger injured in accident 41 min ago
- UNC-Chapel Hill to conduct emergency drill 56 min ago
- Hearings begin for Duke Energy's 5 percent hike 47 min ago
- NC Senate takes up energy conservation rollback 42 min ago
- UCLA defeats Wolfpack 2-1 at College World Series
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Wake County Schools names new superintendent
- Southern Pines officer remembered 50 min ago
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Did Wake Co teacher encourage bullying?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos