Troubleshooter: Car hits house
ROBESON COUNTY (WTVD) -- Shawna Legg's home suffered structural damage when a driver ran a stop sign and plowed right into it last September.
"My house has now been shifted 4 1/2 inches back," said Legg. "Underneath, there's a lot of damage to the frame of the house."
There was damage to the inside too, so Legg filed a claim with the driver's insurance company USAA.
"She asked us to send an estimate which we did, and they sent an adjustor come out and he did his adjustment, and the next thing we know is she was willing to cut us a check for $4,000," Legg recalled.
But Legg said $4,000 won't begin to fix the damage.
"That won't even cover the steel damage, so we've been on a standstill since September," she said.
Even the initial estimate on the police report from the night of the accident estimates the damage at $10,000. Legg's contractor put it at $15,000.
"We'd go for months and not even hear from them, until I contacted you," said Legg.
When we contacted them, USAA had a change of heart and sent Legg a check for $12,000 - an amount she's happy with.
"The only reason why this got resolved is that you got involved; I feel we'd still be at a standstill," she said.
USAA thanked us for bringing the claim to their attention and worked directly with Legg to reach a resolution.
robeson, accident, local/state, diane wilson
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a life!
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- Duke stays close to home as No. 3 seed
- Tar Heels draw Providence in NCAA opener
- Iowa State ready to face North Carolina Central
- No. 6 UVa tops No. 7 Duke 72-63 for ACC title
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Newtown struggles to meet mental health demand
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos