NC Central asks SBI for embezzlement probe
DURHAM (WTVD) -- North Carolina Central University Chancellor Charlie Nelms called for an investigation into possible embezzlement by a former employee Thursday.
Nelms said he's asked the State Bureau of Investigation to look into the case involving the Historically Minority Colleges and Universities Consortium which has collected over $13 million from state appropriations, federal and state grants and from private foundations.
The consortium was created by the N.C. General Assembly in 1999 to assist in closing the academic achievement gap between minority and majority school children.
Nelms said an internal audit he initiated last fall has turned up mismanagement of funds.
"Last week, we obtained records of a business checking account opened by a former NCCU employee in the name of HMCUC. Information found in those records triggered additional reporting requirements to the office of the State Auditor and State Bureau of Investigation of potential criminal wrongdoing and/or misuse of state funds," said Nelms in a news release.
Nelms did not name the employee involved. He said he was committed to uncovering the truth.
"If wrongdoing occurred, then the wrongdoers should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law," he said.
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina 12 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car 52 min ago
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2 40 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled for missing Md. girl 1 min ago
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help