Duke accuser indicted on arson charge
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The woman who was the center of the infamous Duke Lacrosse rape case was indicted by a Durham grand jury Monday.
Crystal Mangum is charged with first-degree arson, three counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, injury to personal property, and resisting an officer.
Durham police took Mangum into custody at her Lincoln Street home in February 18 after getting a 911 call from her daughter just before midnight. According to officers, the 33-year-old got into an argument with her boyfriend, Milton Walker, which resulted in her assaulting him.
According to an arrest warrant, Mangum scratched, punched and threw objects at Walker before setting his clothes on fire in a bathtub.
Nearly four years ago, Mangum, who was an exotic dancer, accused three Duke Lacrosse players of raping her at an off campus party.
The case made international news and the charges against the Duke students were eventually dismissed.
Since the case, Mangum graduated from North Carolina Central University and wrote a book, "The Last Dance for Grace: The Crystal Mangum Story," which was released in 2008.
durham police, fire, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina 6 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina 16 min ago
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- Woman's mummified body found at Detroit-area home
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help