Lejeune Marines killed in Afghanistan
CAMP LEJEUNE (WTVD) -- Military officials announced Tuesday that two Camp Lejeune Marines have been killed fighting in Afghanistan.
Lance Cpl. Tyler O. Griffin, 19, of Voluntown, Conn., and Sgt. Frank J. World, 25, of Buffalo, N.Y., died April 1.
Griffin was a rifleman assigned to 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 7, Marine Expeditionary Brigade-Afghanistan. He joined the Marine Corps in August 2008 and was promoted to the rank of lance corporal on October 1, 2009.
World was a scout team leader assigned to 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division and was temporarily serving with 4th Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division. He joined the Marine Corps in December 2003 and was promoted to the rank of sergeant on June 1, 2009.
He is survived by his wife and son.
camp lejeune, local/state
- Gov. asking GA for year to negotiate Dix deal 42 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Army declares Kelli Bordeaux dead
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- Senate Republicans moving NC budget to House
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recover
- Racial Justice Act repeal heard by NC House panel
- NC Senate spending plan given initial OK
- NC State tops Clemson 6-3 in ACC tournament
- NC House bill opens renegotiation on Dix property
- NC terror suspect killed in overseas drone strike
- Acquaintance describes Abaroa after wife's death