10-month project to affect Panther Creek HS
CARY (WTVD) -- A 10-monthlong construction project that will close McCrimmon Parkway in Cary began Monday morning.
The parkway closure will affect residents in the area and students who attend Panther Creek High School, which is located on McCrimmon Parkway.
McCrimmon will intersect the Triangle Expressway -- about 1,000 feet from the school's entrance.
RTP commuters look forward to the expressway's completion in about three years.
"I'd probably use it when I really needed to, when I know it would save me a lot of time," said Clair Szaz, commuter.
But students, parents and staff must approach Panther Creek from the east, from Highway 55 and McCrimmon Parkway. They will not be able to access the school from Green Level Church Road.
Crews will be working on two bridges that will go over the Western Wake Freeway segment of the Triangle Expressway. Drivers on the expressway will pay a toll, likely between 13 and 15 cents a mile.
"I would have to consider, you know, in terms of the expense whether I could afford it or not," RTP commuter Deborah Goff said. "But I think I could. Sometimes you have to pay for the convenience."
The first portion of the project, which includes work on the first section of the 19-mile toll road from the Durham Freeway at I-40, to the current 540 near Davis Dr., should be complete by early 2012. The remaining stretch that will connect to Holly Springs is scheduled for a 2013 finish.
For more information about the McCrimmon Parkway closure and other construction projects associated with the Western Wake Freeway, click here.
i540, wake county, research triangle park, local/state
- Barber, 11 others guilty in Moral Monday protests
- 'Tipsforjesus' leaving thousands in tips
- Does bathing in vitamin C water improve health?
- Family says Nelson Mandela on 'deathbed'
- 2 dead, 1 wounded in shooting near NC college
- Fayetteville bank robber sought
- Tata blames environmentalists for bridge woes
- NC has fewer teachers and more students
- UNC upsets No. 1 Michigan State
- NC State beats Northwestern 69-48
- Float banned from Clayton Christmas parade
- Autopsy: Actor died from impact, fire in crash
- Student arrested with loaded gun at Durham high school
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help