Taft murder suspect's past revealed
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The man accused of murdering state school board member Kathy Taft was first charged with burglary when he was a student at Leesville High School.
The victim of that crime certainly remembered Jason Williford and was shocked to hear that Williford had been arrested for Taft's murder.
Alvin Enns was in court with Williford and his father almost 12 years ago.
It was just a few months after Williford broke into Enns' home, a few blocks from his own home in the Stonehenge Subdivision.
"The thing that struck me about him was just how blank his expression was ... and it was just weird," Enns said.
Weird is a word that comes up often when Enns talks about the 1998 break-in. He says he found it weird that Williford broke in, but stole nothing, drank a soda from the refrigerator, watched TV and used the telephone.
"Two or three hundred dollars worth of '900' calls, all sex numbers," Enns said. "I thought that he just needed some privacy for some, for whatever weird things he was interested in."
Between then and now, Williford racked up a number of pot, probation violation and traffic charges.
He also got a second burglary charge when he shattered the window of a north Raleigh house and crawled inside.
Williford's friends say he was simply drunk and thought he was at his rental home which looks very similar and is right next door.
It certainly wasn't as weird as the break-in at Enns house.
"There was a piece of feces on the living room floor and I just cleaned it up as best as I could that was the weirdest thing."
Williford's friends say he only got in trouble when he was drinking and that he had a drinking problem, recently falling off the wagon after trying to quit.
It may be a glimpse at a possible defense especially if the DNA evidence proves to be solid as sources say it is.
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Crews search for missing boater on Cape Fear River
- Private plane lands short of Charlotte runway
- Hit-and-run driver sought in fatal moped crash
- Defense wraps after Abaroa's mom's testimony
- Super PAC created for possible Tillis Senate bid
- More salmonella cases reported in Fayetteville
- Biographer regrets affair with former CIA director
- TSA finds man carrying gun on prosthetic leg
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Family continues to experience miracles