School bus driver charged with DWI after crash
CUMBERLAND COUNTY (WTVD) -- Authorities say a 1998 Ford Expedition rear-ended a Cumberland County school bus Friday afternoon when the bus stopped on Pritchett Road near Cliffdale Road.
It happened just before 3:00 p.m. as the driver, 49-year-old Charles Wynn, was taking students home from Lewis Chapel Middle School.
Officials say 18 students were on board bus 511 at the time of the crash. One student from the bus and a child from the SUV were transported to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries. Three other students were later taken to the hospital by parents.
"All the injuries seem to be bumps and bruises, nothing major at this time," Cumberland County Transportation Director Al Miller said.
Officials say when authorities arrived at the scene of the crash, the driver of the SUV was determined to be at fault. However while at the scene, police say they smelled alcohol on Wynn's breath and issued a field sobriety test. He blew a 0.20 -- well over the legal limit of 0.08.
Wynn has been charged with driving while subject to impairing substance, operating a school bus after consuming alcohol and driving while impaired while operating a commercial vehicle.
"For a person to come to school drunk ... I wish I had the answer," Miller said.
Officials say Wynn is a substitute bus driver for Cumberland County Schools and is also employed as a night custodian at 71st High School.
School officials say Wynn is suspended pending an investigation.
Meanwhile, the driver of the SUV, 29-year-old Travis Hunter, has been charged with failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and operating a vehicle with a revoked license.
cumberland county, local/state
- Bicycle Man's legacy lives on 50 min ago
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Obama skips out of Washington for Hawaii vacation
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking 42 min ago
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Wild video: Duke Energy implodes smokestacks
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs 14 min ago
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Cub Scouts help out on the anchor desk
22 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help