NC State football players face drug charges
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A search warrant filed by Raleigh police shows marijuana and drug paraphernalia was found in an apartment while four North Carolina State football players were inside.
Senior Offensive Lineman Jake Vermiglio, Redshirt Junior Defensive Tackle J.R. Sweezy, Redshirt Junior Defensive Tackle Markus Kuhn, and Redshirt Junior Tight End George Bryan are all named in the document.
Officer R.E. Hoffman states in the warrant that April 24, he was working off-duty at the College Inn apartments at 2717 Western Boulevard. He states he detected a strong smell of marijuana coming from apartment 360 and obtained the search warrant to search the premises.
Seized in the search were: 3 sandwich bags of marijuana (aprox 6 grams total), a "blunt" cigar containing marijuana, bongs, and a cell phone with pictures of a marijuana plant in growth on it. The College Inn is owned by the Wolfpack Club and is affiliated with NC State University.
Sweezy, Vermiglio and Kuhn are charged with possession of marijuana, possession of paraphernalia and maintaining a dwelling for the purpose of using a controlled substance.
Bryan faces only one charge -- maintaining a dwelling for the purpose of using a controlled substance.
NC State Head Coach Tom O'Brien issued a statement Monday.
"I have been made aware of the situation and appropriate action will be taken," he said.
Sweezy has had trouble with the law before. He was suspended indefinitely by O'Brien after being charged with misdemeanor assault and misdemeanor larceny in March in his hometown of Mooresville.
A 22-year-old woman, Allison Elaine Davis, also was in the apartment at the time of the search. It's not clear if she faces any charges.
nc state football, local/state, ed crump
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Obama skips out of Washington for Hawaii vacation 30 min ago
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Prosecutors: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 18 min ago
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Wild video: Duke Energy implodes smokestacks
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help