Tupac's mom arrested in Lumberton
LUMBERTON (WTVD) -- State alcohol agents arrested the mother of legendary rapper Tupac Shakur earlier this month.
According to the Fayetteville Observer, 63-year-old Afeni Shakur Davis was charged on April 16 with felony possession of marijuana, maintaining a vehicle, dwelling or place for a controlled substance and simple possession of a controlled substance.
She is out of jail on a $10,000 bond, and her court date is scheduled for May 10.
Davis is a Lumberton native who is best known for her work as a political activist and former Black Panther. She also is the mother of rapper Tupac, who was gunned down in Las Vegas in 1996. His murder remains unsolved.
Since her son's death, Davis has managed Tupac's unreleased music and poetry, selling millions of albums since his death.
With the money from album sales, she found the Tupac Amaru Shakur Foundation, which is based in Stone Mountain, Georgia. The foundation provides art programs for youth. She also launched a clothing line called Makaveli Branded. Proceeds from those sales go to the Shakur foundation.
- Powerball players check their tickets
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Tanker truck collides with SUV in Johnston County
- Inmate escapes from NC prison, found 4 miles away
- 2 charged with murder in Rocky Mount shooting
- Army investigates 23-year-old paratrooper's death
- Another mugging reported at Durham bank
- Man, granddaughter killed in Wayne County crash
- Pedestrian hit, killed in Fayetteville
- Illinois Lottery bounced checks for 8 winners
- Eric Staal's MRI reveals good news for Caniacs
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos