Lejeune Marine killed in Afghanistan
CAMP LEJEUNE (WTVD) -- The U.S. Marines Corps announced the death of Camp Lejeune-based Marine 1st Lt. Brandon A. Barrett.
Twenty-seven-year-old Barrett of Marion, Indiana died May 5 as a result of a hostile incident while supporting combat operations in Hemland province, Afghanistan.
Barrett was an infantry officer assigned to 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 7, I Marine Expeditionary Force Forward. He joined the Marine Corps in May 2006 and was promoted to the rank of first lieutenant on May 26, 2008.
He deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom from March to October 2008 and again in December 2009.
Barrett's awards include the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal and NATO International Security Assistance Force Medal.
onslow county, camp lejeune, local/state
- NAACP, students challenge education changes 14 min ago
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Possible tornado damage reported in Franklin County
- Driver facing charges after passenger injured in accident
- UNC-Chapel Hill to conduct emergency drill
- Obama renews call for nuclear reductions 55 min ago
- Hearings begin for Duke Energy's 5 percent hike
- NC Senate takes up energy conservation rollback
- UCLA defeats Wolfpack 2-1 at College World Series
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Wake County Schools names new superintendent
- Southern Pines officer remembered
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos