Spectator killed at drag race
SAMPSON COUNTY (WTVD) -- A spectator at a drag race was killed in Sampson County Sunday night.
It happened around 9:18 p.m. at the Harrells Raceway on Buckhorn Road. According to the Sampson County Sheriff's Office, a two-car drag race was taking place just before the accident.
The cars were in separate lanes when the vehicle driven by Joseph Wactor of Brooklyn, NY lost control and hit the guardrail. The vehicle was traveling between 130 and 135 moh at the time.
After the car hit the rail, it began coming apart. The engine was thrown about 100 feet through the air and through a chain link fence, hitting a spectator.
Terry McDougald of Lillington died at the scene. The driver of the car also was injured but refused medical treatment.
A second spectator suffered burns. He was transported to the New Hanover Regional Medical Center.
Authorities say weather conditions are not being considered a factor in the case. An investigation is underway to determine the exact cause of the crash.
sampson county, accident, local/state
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Brees sharp, Saints beat Panthers 31-13
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help