Good Samaritan needs help after rescue
CHAPEL HILL (WTVD) -- A Good Samaritan who helped a woman in danger is now in need of some help of his own.
Joey Shelton was hurt last week when he saved a woman from nearly being abducted in Chapel Hill.
Police arrested 26-year-old Theodore James Walker after they say Shelton and his brother stopped the abduction in progress near the area of E. Rosemary Street and N. Columbia Street around 2 p.m. May 12.
Investigators say Walker hit Shelton with his car trying to get away.
"I know I did the right thing. I don't consider myself a hero," Shelton told ABC11.
Shelton was left with a painful back injury, and without health insurance, he can't get the treatment he needs.
"I'm one of the millions without health insurance," Shelton explained.
That's where Mike Miles comes in. He's a Chapel Hill businessman whose office window overlooks the scene where Shelton came to the rescue.
Moved by Shelton's humility, Miles paid one thousand dollars to start a special fund to pay Shelton's medical bills. Big or small, more donors are needed.
"This is a way to say thank you," said Miles. "I hope I would have the courage to put my body in front of a car. If not, you can donate a dollar."
So far, the fund has raised just over two thousand dollars. Donations can be made at any RBC bank branch throughout the Triangle.
orange county, local/state
- Authorities investigating fatal shooting 59 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help