Good Samaritan needs help after rescue
CHAPEL HILL (WTVD) -- A Good Samaritan who helped a woman in danger is now in need of some help of his own.
Joey Shelton was hurt last week when he saved a woman from nearly being abducted in Chapel Hill.
Police arrested 26-year-old Theodore James Walker after they say Shelton and his brother stopped the abduction in progress near the area of E. Rosemary Street and N. Columbia Street around 2 p.m. May 12.
Investigators say Walker hit Shelton with his car trying to get away.
"I know I did the right thing. I don't consider myself a hero," Shelton told ABC11.
Shelton was left with a painful back injury, and without health insurance, he can't get the treatment he needs.
"I'm one of the millions without health insurance," Shelton explained.
That's where Mike Miles comes in. He's a Chapel Hill businessman whose office window overlooks the scene where Shelton came to the rescue.
Moved by Shelton's humility, Miles paid one thousand dollars to start a special fund to pay Shelton's medical bills. Big or small, more donors are needed.
"This is a way to say thank you," said Miles. "I hope I would have the courage to put my body in front of a car. If not, you can donate a dollar."
So far, the fund has raised just over two thousand dollars. Donations can be made at any RBC bank branch throughout the Triangle.
orange county, local/state
- Funeral held for North Hills murder victim
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- North Carolina Senate rolls out budget plan
- Photos: Raleigh's Artsplosure
- 4 year old injured in Durham hit-and-run
- Small Fla. city wonders who won Powerball jackpot
- Boston Marathon bombing victim returns home to NC
- Body of missing Ohio man pulled from NC waters
- NC teacher says student hit her during field trip
- Charlotte remembers 1963 desegregation 'eat-in'
- Swift, Bieber, more ready for Billboard Awards
- OJ Simpson lawyers say he is closer to freedom
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos