NC Senate wants to borrow $451 million
RALEIGH -- The North Carolina Senate wants to borrow money to repair state buildings, construct engineering school buildings at two universities and buy equipment for higher education.
The Senate Finance Committee is scheduled to meet on Wednesday to consider a $451 million debt package that would be repaid over 20 years. More than half the funds would pay to complete buildings to expand the engineering schools at North Carolina State University and North Carolina A&T.
The borrowing package wouldn't require statewide voter approval and at the same time move the state beyond a self-imposed debt limit calculated by a state panel.
Some lawmakers believe the state already has borrowed too much money. It's already paying more than $600 million annually on debt service.
wake county, nc senate, local/state
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Panthers, Saints seek control of NFC South race
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help