NC Senate wants to borrow $451 million
RALEIGH -- The North Carolina Senate wants to borrow money to repair state buildings, construct engineering school buildings at two universities and buy equipment for higher education.
The Senate Finance Committee is scheduled to meet on Wednesday to consider a $451 million debt package that would be repaid over 20 years. More than half the funds would pay to complete buildings to expand the engineering schools at North Carolina State University and North Carolina A&T.
The borrowing package wouldn't require statewide voter approval and at the same time move the state beyond a self-imposed debt limit calculated by a state panel.
Some lawmakers believe the state already has borrowed too much money. It's already paying more than $600 million annually on debt service.
wake county, nc senate, local/state
- Suspect in Wake Forest kidnapping captured 49 min ago
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets 44 min ago
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Former teacher faces charges
- Big rig crashes through front of pharmacy
- Gas prices on the rise; still lower than last Easter
- Nurseries, homeowners take steps to protect plants
- Troubleshooter investigates Papa John's dough
- Wake sounds alarm on teacher shortage
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets
44 min ago
- Alliance says Raleigh downtown has lot to...
47 min ago