Third Butner officer fired in trooper scandal
BUTNER (WTVD) -- A third Butner Public Safety officer has been fired for his involvement in an April 3 traffic stop of an off-duty N.C. State Highway Patrol trooper in Granville County.
Major Anthony W. Moss was dismissed Monday for personal conduct violations.
An investigation revealed Butner officers took Captain James Williams Jr. of the Highway Patrol to a hotel instead of arresting him on suspicion of DWI. Officers did not file any charges against Williams nor were any sobriety tests administered.
Williams was let go last month for personal conduct violations. Capt. Walter B. Williams and Lt. Daniel C. Parrott, both of Butner Public Safety, were dismissed for job performance and personal conduct violations.
Multiple sources have told ABC11 that Williams was stopped after he was spotted driving erratically in his own car on I-85 near Butner.
Before he was fired, Williams was in charge of all field activity in Troop C, which covers 14 counties.
“The officers involved in this incident failed to enforce the law and abide by their oaths of office, and we cannot tolerate that,” said Chief Wayne Hobgood of Butner Public Safety. “The public trust was betrayed along with our commitment to serve and protect the citizens of this community.”
“Our officers are held to high standards and we expect no less,” Hobgood said. “I have personally met with each and every member of this department since the incident occurred and have made clear my expectations and the repercussions for not meeting them.”
granville county, local/state
- Jury resumes deliberations in jailer trial
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Lawmaker charged in state tax case out of jail 19 min ago
- Judge: No quick trial on NC voting law changes
- NCDOT: Bonner Bridge could reopen next week
- Appeal heard in Jason Young case
- Are more Dorito-flavored foods on the way?
- Ex-President Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker
- Interpreter for Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers
- Accident shuts down Durham road
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help