Durham shelter receives major gift
DURHAM (WTVD) -- More than 100 brand new mattresses were delivered Thursday to the Urban Ministries of Durham on Liberty Street.
The donation was granted after GlaxoSmithKline Director of US Community Partnerships Bill Shore visited UMD in February. He encouraged the shelter to apply for funds through the company's Community Partnership Grant program.
A ceremony was held this morning featuring speakers from UMD, GlaxoSmithKline and Duke University Medical Systems.
UMD's request of $12,000 was fulfill up to $10,000 by GSK, and the remaining $2,000 was picked up by Duke University Health Systems.
durham county, glaxosmithklien, local/state
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh 48 min ago
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash 55 min ago
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- Residents told of arsenic in water
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
47 min ago
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in...
46 min ago
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
41 min ago