Authorities seek suspect in deadly raceway shooting
SAMPSON COUNTY (WTVD) -- Sampson County authorities are looking for a man they say fired a fatal gunshot at a Sampson County raceway Sunday night.
The shooting happened at Harrells Raceway on Buckhorn Road.
According to the sheriff's office, two men were arguing when one was shot at a bikefest, car and truck show.
Timothy McKoy, 29, of Sampson County was killed.
Authorities aren't saying much about their search for the suspect.
"Well, we're not at liberty right now to put out any suspect information or anything like that/," Sampson County Sheriff Jimmy Thornton told ABC11 Eyewitness News. "We're still investigating and we've been given names and so we're still investigating."
Sheriff Thornton says his deputies have interviewed multiple eyewitnesses, so they feel confident they will make an arrest.
Harrells Raceway dealt with another death at the track in May.
During that incident, a car engine flew into the stands during a two-car drag race, killing a spectator.
One of the vehicle hit the guardrail and came apart. The car's engine was tossed about 100 feet and landed on a bystander.
Terry McDougald of Lillington died at the scene and a second person was injured.
sampson county, shooting, local/state, sheyenne rodriguez
- 20 children among dead in Oklahoma tornado 29 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- NC House panel looking at public school grant bill
- Frightening moments for family with Okla. ties
- Hazmat situation at Raleigh apt. complex
- Police search for shooting suspect
- Man shot in neck in Raleigh
- NC Senate budget plan heavy on Medicaid spending
- NRC meets public after nuclear plant shuttered
- Prosecution rests in Abaroa murder trial
- Woman accused of poisoning family
- Closing arguments to begin in McNeill trial