Jury selection underway in Laurean murder trial
GOLDSBORO -- The former Marine, who was based at Camp Lejeune, evaded authorities for month in Mexico after being charged with killing his pregnant college
Laurean faces first-degree murder charges in the death of 20-year-old Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach of Vandalia, Ohio. She also was based at Camp Lejeune.
Lauterbach had accused Laurean of rape and of being the father of her unborn baby, a charged he denied to military investigators. A DNA test later revealed Laurean was not the father.
Starting Tuesday, it will be Onslow County District Attorney Dewey Hudson's job to explain Laurean's motives to a jury in Goldsboro. The trial was moved out of Jacksonville in January after a judge ruled that pretrial publicity could influence jurors.
A total of 20 potential jurors out of the initial pool of 50 have been excused and 30 jurors remain as of Tuesday.
So far, at least six have said they could not set aside what they've heard about the case and give Laurean a fair trial.
The potential jurors are done going through individual questioning from lawyers on both sides about their pre-trial publicity.
The jury selection will continue Wednesday with additional individual questioning.
Lawyers say the trial will last about two or three weeks.
camp lejeune, wayne county, onslow county, local/state
- Widow's wedding bands stolen in Hope Mills
- Manhunt for suspects in deadly luxury mall carjacking
- Crawleigh's I-440 lane closures got off to a rough start
- Police seek help solving double murder
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Multiple county chase ends in Durham
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Sheriff: School gunman planned to attack 5 spots
- Naked man spotted near Raleigh school
- Private ferry runs aground, injures 14
- Durham murder victim identified
- Blind man, guide dog safe after subway track fall
- Fair ride operator, owner formally indicted
- DOT looking at all 540 project paths
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help