Hundreds of troops coming home
CAMP LEJEUNE (WTVD) -- Fort Bragg and Camp Lejeune will see the return of hundreds of soldiers, sailors, and Marines this weekend.
The Marine Corps says about 700 members of 3rd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, will be returning to Camp Lejeune Saturday from their deployment to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
The battalion's Marines and sailors conducted counterinsurgency operations in Helmand province and supported combat operations as an infantry battalion. The battalion is commanded by Lt. Col. Brian Christmas.
Over at Fort Bragg, nearly 270 Paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division's 4th Brigade Combat Team will return from a 12-month deployment in support of Operation Enduring Freedom on Sunday.
The 4th BCT Paratroopers partnered with Afghan national security forces, including the Afghan national police, army, and border police in security operations.
fort bragg, camp lejeune, local/state
- Photos: Oklahoma tornado aftermath 27 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- NC House panel looking at public school grant bill
- Frightening moments for family with Okla. ties
- Hazmat situation at Raleigh apt. complex
- Police search for shooting suspect
- Man shot in neck in Raleigh
- NC Senate budget plan heavy on Medicaid spending
- NRC meets public after nuclear plant shuttered
- Prosecution rests in Abaroa murder trial
- Woman accused of poisoning family
- Closing arguments to begin in McNeill trial