SBI to launch 'nationwide' search for new lab director
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- SBI Director Greg McLeod said Friday he will convene a panel of law enforcement officials, defense attorneys and prosecutors to help him begin a national search for a new leader of the state forensic lab.
The news came after a review of the lab said analysts omitted, overstated or falsely reported blood evidence in dozens of cases, including three that ended in executions and another where two men were imprisoned for murdering Michael Jordan's father.
One agent was taken off the job after the report found his work among the worst. The review said Duane Deaver overstated or falsely reporting blood test results in five cases.
McLeod said he will seek input from local and national experts and users of the lab for the right criteria to pick a new director.
Phil Baddour, President of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice, and Seth Edwards, District Attorney for the Second Judicial District and President of the North Carolina Conference of District Attorneys, have agreed to serve on the search panel.
"There are many challenges in the forensic sciences and with this search we can find the best professional to address them," said McLeod in a statement.
The statement said current lab director Jerry Richardson "has been informed that he will need to leave the post."
McLeod also said he has moved to remove from casework the agents identified in the Independent Review who are currently working in the lab while a further review of their casework continues.
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- Malaysia asks countries for data to help find jet
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast 32 min ago
- Newtown struggles to meet mental health demand 41 min ago
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school 12 min ago
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar