Court denies appeal for Michelle Theer
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A woman sentenced to life in prison for conspiring to kill her husband with her lover has been denied an appeal.
A federal court denied Michelle Theer's request for an appeal Wednesday. In her appeal, she claimed her constitutional rights had been violated during her trial.
The 41-year-old was convicted in December 2004 of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder. She is currently serving her sentence in the state women's prison in Raleigh.
Theer's husband, Air Force Capt. Marty Theer was shot and killed in December 2000. Army Staff Sgt. John Diamond was convicted of the murder and is serving a life sentence in a military prison.
Theer maintains her innocence. On her website www.michelletheer.org, she says she was wrongfully convicted, set up by her former lover, and asks visitors to keep an open mind as they read her side of the story.
In May, Theer was placed in disciplinary segregation for 45 days after staff at the Women's Correctional Institute intercepted mail that led them to believe she may have been trying to plan an escape.
The item, according to a Department of Correction spokesperson, was a map of the prison Theer drew herself and was trying to mail, possibly to coordinate an escape.
The Department of Correction would not say who Theer was in contact with, but the person likely won't face any charges at this point since Theer didn't receive the mail.
The warden said Theer did not physically try to escape, but may have been planning to.
- Jailer to serve 90 days behind bars 22 min ago
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Bowl president: 'No doubt' about No. 22 Duke
- Pool parasite sickens high school swimmers 35 min ago
- Part of US 64 added to Interstate Highway System
- Lawmaker charged in state tax case out of jail
- Judge: No quick trial on NC voting law changes
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school...
- Are more Dorito-flavored foods on the way?
- Ex-President Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker
- Interpreter for Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers
- McCrory: Raleigh buildings are 'ugly as the...
5 min ago
- Pool parasite sickens high school swimmers
34 min ago
- Gridlock in the Senate, progress in the...
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help