Teen charged in bus wreck that killed friend
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Police have charged a 16-year-old Franklin County boy in connection with a crash that killed his friend.
The accident happened on Sept. 27 on Falls of Neuse Road at Harps Mill Road just before 5 p.m.
Authorities say 16-year-old David Lawrence Asato was driving his 2006 Kia with 15-year-old Nolan Mayo Lundberg and 14-year-old Jared Paul Williams in the car, when he collided with a Wake County school bus.
Williams died from injuries he sustained in the crash. Both Asato and Lundberg were taken to WakeMed with non-life threatening.
Police estimated the Kia's speed at 60 miles-per-hour. The speed limit on the road in that area is 45.
They say the car plowed into the back of the bus, essentially driving under its back tire, pushing the rear of the bus around and into a third vehicle stopped at the traffic light.
Officials said there shouldn't have been three kids in the car to began with, because the driver's license restricts him to having only one young passenger. Asato only had his license for 10 days when the accident happened.
On Friday, Raleigh police charged Asato with death by motor vehicle.
Williams' father says on the day of the accident, his son stayed after school for a volleyball game when the teens decided to leave the campus and drive down the street to grab a bite to eat. The crash happened as they were making their way back to school.
Williams was a freshman at Neuse Baptist Christian Academy, where he played soccer and hoped to join the basketball team this year.
wake county, school bus accident, local/state
- Authorities investigating fatal shooting 28 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help