DA won't charge wife in pregnant Marine murder
CLINTON, N.C. -- A North Carolina prosecutor talked about the role of a former Marine's wife in a triangle of sex and murder at a news conference Tuesday.
District Attorney Dewey Hudson said he will not bring charges against Christina Laurean.
She was married to Cesar Laurean, who was convicted of murder in August in the death of Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach of Vandalia, Ohio, in 2007. Lauterbach had accused Laurean of rape while the two were assigned to the same logistics unit. Lauterbach's rape accusation never was corroborated.
Prosecutors said Laurean burned Lauterbach's body in a backyard firepit, and then fled to Mexico.
In his new conference Tuesday, Hudson said Christina Laurean cooperated with the investigation from the beginning, and there is no evidence she took part in the killing or helped her husband conceal it.
"I think it's perfectly clear to us that she was not involved in the murder of Maria Lauterbach," said Hudson.
Hudson said Laurean kept in contact with his wife while in Mexico and her cooperation helped authorities find him there.
Laurean was sentenced to life in prison.
While Christina Laurean did not testify against her husband at his trial, Hudson said that does not mean she was involved.
Hudson said he called the news conference to try and address speculation and questions from the community about Christina's involvement in the murder and why she won't be charged.
He said Christina did not take part in the murder, did not use the victim's credit card or drive her car, did not buy items to build the backyard firepit, and did not flee to Mexico - all things her husband did.
"There is no evidence she provided assistance," said Hudson.
Hudson said there are some in the community who suspect Christina's involvement, but his exhaustive investigation proves otherwise.
"As far as I am concerned this case is now closed and there are no other suspects," he said.
onslow county, cesar armando laurean, local/state
- Temps to plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Durham girl's wish comes true
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Woman unknowingly tweets husband's fatal car crash
- Woman struck, killed by car in Harnett County
- Son: Graham's health declining
- Wake Forest bank robbery suspect caught
- Motorcyclist killed in Durham County crash
- No. 20 Duke relishes worst-to-first ride
- Xerox calls police before layoffs
- High School Football Scores - Playoffs Week 4
- Hurricanes surge past Sharks
- Raleigh Winterfest 2013-2014
- Icy storm slams Southwest, shuts down North Texas
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help