Businessmen making dreams come true
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The tough economy has brought out the worst in some people. In others, it's brought out the best --like in three Raleigh businessmen who are making dreams come true.
Hunter Marshall, Sam Franklin, and Prekash Babu --all friends and Raleigh businessmen-- found themselves complaining about the economy every time they got together for coffee.
The men say they decided to stop venting and do something for those who really had something to complain about --sick children.
"So we decided to gather our friends together and make some new friends and get everyone together for a good cause," Franklin said.
They called themselves DreamCatchers and threw their first fundraiser last year benefiting the Make-A-Wish Foundation of eastern North Carolina.
They put it together, basically at the last minute, at Solas restaurant in downtown Raleigh.
In the middle of a down economy, they say they were shocked at the outpouring of support.
"I originally thought $5,000 wish granting was going to be a stretch," Marshall said. "I hoped to have 70 to 100 people there. We had 250 people and raised $23,000 total. It was pretty shocking."
On Thursday night, they hope to do even more at their second annual benefit, which will also be at Solas.
Just this week, Marshall, Franklin and Babu met one of the wish kids they're helping this year --a 7-year-old boy from Durham who was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of three.
Jalin Burris endured three-and-a-half years of chemotherapy and has recently been declared healthy and in remission.
Burris' wish is to meet Kobe Bryant and see a Laker's game.
The DreamCatchers say they are determined to see that his wish comes true, as well as the wishes of three other children.
If you'd like to attend the next event or would like more information on the DreamCatchers, visit their website at www.dreamcatchers2010.com.
local/state, barbara gibbs
- Search under way for missing swimmer in Hope Mills
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Interactive Hurricane Tracking Map
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- McCrory signs repeal of Racial Justice Act 4 min ago
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini has died 14 min ago
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- Stocks slide as Fed says bond purchases could slow
- NC first lady urges Senate action on breeder bill
- UNC-Chapel Hill holds emergency drill
- Suspected meth found near RDU airport
- Wake Forest natural gas leak capped
- Two killed, several injured in Fayetteville crash
- Tropical Storm Barry forms off Mexican coast
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos