NY kidnap suspect from Raleigh arrested
The Raleigh woman at the center of a more than two decade old abduction case in New York has turned herself in to Connecticut authorities, according to the North Carolina Department of Corrections.
Ann Pettway, 44, of Raleigh, apparently contacted a Bridgeport, Connecticut police officer from somewhere in Stamford, Connecticut using facebook, CNN correspondent Susan Candiotti reported.Pettway then turned herself in at an FBI facility in Bridgeport, and will be held in Connecticut until she can be extradited to North Carolina, said Pamela Walker of the N.C. D.O.C.
An arrest warrant out of Wake County was issued for Pettway late last week, after authorities became concerned she left North Carolina, a violation of her probation.
She was also being sought for questioning in the kidnapping of Carlina White, alleged to have occurred 23 years ago.Pettway has been charged with kidnapping White and is expected to appear in Manhattan federal court on Monday to face federal charges.
White was reunited this week with her biological family in New York after finding a picture of a baby online that looked like her own daughter.
White says she got suspicious as a teenager when Pettway, couldn't give her a copy of her birth certificate.Pettway has been charged with kidnapping White. She is expected to appear in Manhattan federal court on Monday to face federal kidnapping charges.
A search of North Carolina records shows Pettway is currently serving probation in Wake County for an attempted embezzlement conviction in June 2010.
According to ABC News, White was taken from Harlem Hospital's emergency room by a woman wearing a nurse's uniform on August 4, 1987.
White's parents - Joy White and Carl Tyson - took their feverish baby daughter to the hospital when she was just 9 days old.
Pettway was reportedly spotted over the weekend at a Bridgeport, Connecticut pawn shop, but was gone when police arrived.
- I-5 bridge collapses in Washington State
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- NC NAACP calls for June 3 rally for next protest
- 5.7-magnitude quake widely felt across N. Calif. 38 min ago
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on marijuana charge 29 min ago
- Father sought after baby found with burns
- Gray seal spending time on NC beaches
- Charlotte mom has son jailed for stealing Pop Tarts
- Police investigate Durham bank robbery
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty
- Authorities: Barricade situation didn't happen